Nr. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Zweiter Weltkrieg

Nr. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Zweiter Weltkrieg

Nr. 614 Squadron (RAF) während des Zweiten Weltkriegs

Flugzeuge - Standorte - Gruppe und Aufgabe - Bücher

Zu Beginn des Zweiten Weltkriegs war die No.614 "County of Glamorgan" Squadron eine Armee-Kooperationseinheit, die mit dem praktisch veralteten Hawker Hector ausgestattet war. Diese wurden vor Beginn der Operationen durch Lysanders ersetzt, aber in den ersten drei Kriegsjahren verbrachte das Geschwader die meiste Zeit mit der Ausbildung bei der Armee. Eine Ausnahme gab es während der Thousand Bomber Raids im Mai und Juni 1942. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt war das Geschwader auf die Bristol Blenheim umgestellt. Bomber Command benötigte jedes Flugzeug, das es finden konnte, um diese Angriffe durchzuführen, und die Blenheims der No.614 Squadron wurden einberufen, um an den Unterstützungsoperationen teilzunehmen und deutsche Flugplätze in den Niederlanden anzugreifen.

Die Rolle des Geschwaders änderte sich im November 1942 dramatisch, als es nach Nordafrika verlegt wurde. In den nächsten Monaten operierte es als Bombergeschwader und griff deutsche und italienische Flugplätze in Tunesien an. Nach dem Ende des tunesischen Feldzugs wurde das Geschwader zum Schutz der Schifffahrt im westlichen Mittelmeer eingesetzt, bevor es am 25. Januar 1944 aufgelöst wurde.

No. 614 Squadron wurde im Februar 1944 in Italien durch die Umnummerierung von No. 462 Squadron, R.A.A.F., reformiert, die als eher kurz von Australiern empfunden wurde (eine neue australische No. 462 Squadron wurde später in Großbritannien gebildet). Dieses Geschwader hatte eine Mischung aus Bombenangriffen auf Italien und dem Balkan und Nachschublieferungen an Partisanen durchgeführt. Unter ihrem neuen Namen übte das Geschwader diese Aufgaben bis zum Kriegsende aus. Am 27. Juli 1945 wurde es als No.214 Squadron umnummeriert.

Flugzeug
November 1937-November 1939: Hawker Hector I
November 1939-Oktober 1940: Westland Lysander II
Oktober 1940-Januar 1942: Westland Lysander III
Juli 1941-September 1942: Bristol Blenheim IV
August 1942-Februar 1944: Bristol Blenheim V

März 1944-März 1945: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk III
August 1944-Juli 1945: Konsolidierter Befreier VIII

Standort
1. Juni 1937-2. Oktober 1939: Cardiff
2. Oktober 1939 - 8. Juni 1940: Odiham
8. Juni 1940-5. März 1941: Grangemouth
5. März-27. September 1941: Macmerry
27. September-3. Oktober 1941: Odiham
3. Oktober 1941-25. August 1942: Macmerry
26. August-16. November 1942: Odiham
16.-17. November 1942: Portreath
17. November bis 5. Dezember 1942: Blida
5. Dezember 1942-7. Februar 1943: Oulmene
22. Mai-28. August 1943: Tafaraoui
28. August 1943-25. Januar 1944: Borizzo

3. März-10. Mai 1944: Celone
10. Mai bis 15. Juli 1944: Stornara
15. Juli - 27. Juli 1945: Amendola

Staffelcodes: LJ, D, T

Pflicht
1939-November 1942: Armeezusammenarbeit
November 1942-März 1943: Bomber Squadron, Nordafrika
März 1943-Januar 1944: Schiffsbegleiter, Mittelmeer
März 1944-Juli 1945: Bomber and Special Duties Squadron, Italien

Bücher

Ein Lesezeichen auf diese Seite setzen: Lecker Facebook StumbleUpon


Nr. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Zweiter Weltkrieg - Geschichte

Air of Authority - Eine Geschichte der RAF-Organisation

Nr. 611 - 620 Geschwadergeschichten

Nummern in der 600er Serie wurden ursprünglich Geschwadern der Auxiliary Air Force zugeteilt. Die AAF hatte jedoch erst mit Ausbruch des Zweiten Weltkriegs Nr. 616 erreicht, und ab 1943 begannen weitere Staffeln ab 617 zu bilden. Obwohl viele Staffeln erst später im Krieg gebildet wurden, scheint das Luftfahrtministerium während der München-Krise 1938 vielen nicht existierenden Staffeln Codebuchstaben zugewiesen zu haben, wahrscheinlich um den deutschen Geheimdienst zu verwirren.

Nein 611 (West-Lancashire) Geschwader

Sie wurde am 10. Februar 1936 in Hendon als Teil der Auxiliary Air Force gegründet, zog im Mai nach Norden nach Speke und erhielt im Juni ihr erstes Flugzeug, Harts. Bis Januar 1939 operierte es als Tagesbombergeschwader, das 1938 mit Hinds umgerüstet wurde, dann aber in ein Jagdgeschwader umbenannt wurde.

Spitfires traf im Mai 1939 ein und das Geschwader führte Operationen über Dünkirchen durch und nahm dann an der Luftschlacht um England teil. Es operierte während des Zweiten Weltkriegs als Tagjäger und blieb an verschiedenen Standorten Stützpunkte in Großbritannien, bis es am 15. August 1945 in Peterhead aufgelöst wurde.

Mit der Reaktivierung der Royal Auxiliary Air Force wurde die 611 am 10. Mai 1946 in Woodvale als Tagesjagdgeschwader reformiert. Es war zunächst mit Spitfire F 14 und F 22 ausgestattet, bis im Juni 1951 Meteor F 4 eintrafen. Diese wurden im Dezember 1951 durch F 8 ersetzt, aber zusammen mit allen fliegenden Einheiten der RAuxAF wurde sie am 10. März 1957 in Hooton Park, wohin sie 1951 umgezogen war, aufgelöst. Die Staffel wurde 2013 bei RAF Woodvale als Multi reformiert -Rolleneinheit.

Nein 612 (Grafschaft Aberdeen) Geschwader

Am 1. Juni 1937 in Dyce als Teil der Auxiliary Air Force gegründet, war sie zunächst mit Tutoren ausgestattet. Am Ende des Jahres hatte sie Hectors erhalten, die sie bis zum 1. Rolle.

Es flog während des 2. Weltkriegs als General Reconnaissance Unit innerhalb des Coastal Command, wurde sukzessive mit Whitleys und verschiedenen Marken von Wellington neu ausgestattet und löste sich am 9. Juli 1945 in Langham auf

Mit der Reaktivierung der Royal Auxiliary Air Force wurde die 612 am 10. Mai 1946 bei Dyce als Jagdgeschwader reformiert. Zunächst mit Spitfire LF 16 und F 14 ausgestattet, wurde sie im Juli 1951 zu Vampiren umgebaut, aber zusammen mit allen fliegenden Einheiten der RAuxAF wurde sie am 10. März 1957 aufgelöst.

Reformiert von The Air Transportable Surgical Squadron am xx xxx xxxx.

DJ Juli 1939 September 1939
WL September 1939 - August 1943
8W Juli 1944 - Juli 1945, 1949 - Apr. 1951
RAS Mai 1946 - 1949

Nein 613 (Stadt Manchester) Geschwader

Am 1. März 1939 auf dem Ringway als Teil der Auxiliary Air Force gegründet, war es zunächst mit Hinds ausgestattet. Am Ende des Jahres hatte sie Hectors erhalten, die sie bis April 1940 flog, als sie Lysanders erhielt.

Bei Ausbruch des Krieges in Großbritannien verblieben, operierte es über Frankreich bei leichten Bombardements und Abwurfmissionen, bevor es Küstenpatrouillen- und Luft-Seerettungsaufgaben übernahm. Es begann jedoch ab August 1941 mit der Ausbildung in der taktischen Aufklärungsrolle, als es seine ersten Tomahawks erhielt. Es begann im April 1942 mit der Umrüstung mit der Mustang, die es bis Oktober 1943 behielt.

Es erhielt Mosquito VIs ab November 1943 und schloss sich der No 2 Group an, die im Dezember den Betrieb aufnahm. Ab Mai 1944 übernahm es die Rolle des Nachteindringlings und blieb in dieser Rolle bis zum 7. August 1945, als es in No 69 Squadron umbenannt wurde.

Mit der Reaktivierung der Royal Auxiliary Air Force wurde die 613 am 10. Mai 1946 am Ringway als Jagdgeschwader reformiert. Ursprünglich mit Spitfires F 14 und F 22 ausgestattet, erhielt sie im Februar 1951 Vampires, wurde aber zusammen mit allen fliegenden Einheiten der RAuxAF am 10. März 1957 aufgelöst.

ZR März 1939 - Juni 1942
SY Juni 1942 - August 1945
RATTE Mai 1946 - 1949
Q3 1949 - Apr. 1951

Nein 614 (Grafschaft Glamorgan) Geschwader

Am 1. Juni 1937 in Cardiff als Teil der Auxiliary Air Force gegründet, war sie zunächst mit Hinds ausgestattet. Am Ende des Jahres hatte sie Hectors erhalten, die sie bis November 1939 flog, als sie Lysanders erhielt.

Im Juni 1940 zog es nach Schottland, um Küstenpatrouillen durchzuführen, aber ab Juli 1941 begann es mit der Umrüstung mit Blenheims IV, ein Prozess, der im Januar 1942 abgeschlossen wurde Deutsche Flugplätze. Sie legte während der Landung in Dieppe auch Nebelwände und zog im November nach Nordafrika.

In Nordafrika führte sie bis Mai 1943 Angriffe gegen feindliche Flugplätze und Kommunikationslinien durch, als die Kämpfe in diesem Gebiet endeten. Anschließend übernahm sie bis zu ihrer Auflösung am 25. Januar 1944 Schiffsbegleitdienste im Mittelmeer.

Etwas mehr als einen Monat später, am 3. März 1944, wurde das Geschwader Nr. 462 in Celone in Italien in Nr. 614 umnummeriert. Ausgestattet mit Halifaxen war es nun an Bombenangriffen über Italien und den Balkan beteiligt und führte auch Nachschub an Partisanen in diesen Gebieten durch. Im März 1945 wurde es mit Liberators neu ausgestattet, aber am 27. Juli wurde es wieder aufgelöst.

Mit der Reaktivierung der Royal Auxiliary Air Force wurde die 614 am 10. Mai 1946 in Llandow als Tagjagdgeschwader reformiert. Ursprünglich mit Spitfires ausgestattet, wichen diese im Juli 1950 Vampires, aber zusammen mit allen fliegenden Einheiten der RAuxAF wurde sie am 10. März 1957 aufgelöst. Das Geschwader reformierte sich im September 2013 in Cardiff zu einer Mehrzweckeinheit.

Nein 615 (Grafschaft Surrey) Geschwader

Am 1. Juni 1937 in Kenley als Teil der Auxiliary Air Force gegründet, wurde sie zunächst mit der Audax ausgestattet. Am Ende des Jahres hatte es Hectors erhalten, die es bis November 1938 flog, als es Gauntlets erhielt und gleichzeitig ein Jagdgeschwader wurde.

Es ging im November 1939 als Teil der Luftkomponente des BEF nach Frankreich, nachdem es im Mai mit Gladiatoren umgerüstet wurde. Die Umstellung auf Hurricanes erfolgte kurz vor der deutschen Invasion in Frankreich, aber am 20. Mai 1940 war das Geschwader wieder in Kenley.

Es nahm an den frühen Aktionen der Luftschlacht um England teil, zog dann aber nach Schottland, um sich auszuruhen. Später nahm es an Offensiven über Europa und Verteidigungsaufgaben in Wales teil, bevor es im April 1942 nach Indien zog. Im Dezember 1942 zog es nach Burma, kehrte im Mai 1943 nach Indien zurück, um sich neu auszurüsten, und erhielt im Oktober Spitfires. Es kehrte im November zu Operationen an der burmesischen Front zurück, wurde jedoch im August 1944 für Verteidigungsaufgaben nach Indien zurückgerufen, bevor es im Februar 1945 nach Burma zurückkehrte und sich am 10. Juni auflöste.

Nr. 135 Squadron, ausgestattet mit Thunderbolts, wurde am selben Tag in 615 umnummeriert und begann mit dem Training für die Invasion von Malaya. Die japanische Kapitulation beendete diese Pläne jedoch und das Geschwader löste sich am 25. September 1945 auf.

Mit der Reaktivierung der Royal Auxiliary Air Force wurde die 615 am 10. Mai 1946 in Biggin Hill zu einem mit Spitfire 14 ausgestatteten Tagesjagdgeschwader reformiert. Spitfire F 21s wurden 1947 und F 22s 1948 erhalten, beide Marken wurden bis 1950 geflogen, als das Geschwader mit Metoer F 4s umgerüstet wurde. Meteor F 8 wurden im September 1951 empfangen, aber zusammen mit allen fliegenden Einheiten der RAuxAF wurde sie am 10. März 1957 aufgelöst.

RR Nov. 1938 - Sept. 1939
KW Sept. 1939 - Sept. 1945
RAV Juli 1946 - 1949
V6 1949 - Apr. 1951

Nein 616 (Süd-Yorkshire) Geschwader

Am 1. November 1938 verlegte No 503 Squadron nach Doncaster und wurde in No 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron, Auxiliary Air Force umbenannt. Es war ursprünglich mit leichten Hind-Bombern ausgestattet, wurde aber ab dem 15. November in eine Jagdeinheit umbenannt. Es wurde 1939 mit Gauntlets und im November 1939 mit Spitfires ausgestattet.

Es begann die Luftschlacht um England in seiner Heimat Grafschaft Yorkshire, aber Mitte August schloss es sich der Hauptschlacht an, als es nach Kenley zog. Jagdflugzeuge über den Kontinent begannen im April 1941 und erhielten Spitfire IIs im Februar 1941 und VBs im Juli 1941. Im April 1942 erhielt es die Höhenversion der Spitfire, die Mk VI und ab September 1943 die Mk VII.

Doch bevor die letzte Spitfire abgeflogen war, traf mit dem ersten Düsenjäger der RAF, der Gloster Meteor, ein neues Flugzeug ein. Diese trafen gerade rechtzeitig ein, um der Bedrohung durch die fliegende Bombe V1 zu begegnen, für die das Geschwader in Großbritannien zurückgehalten wurde. Im Februar 1945 ging eine Abteilung des Geschwaders nach Belgien, wobei das gesamte Geschwader im April 1945 nach Holland übersiedelte und sich nach Kriegsende in Lübeck befand, wo es sich am 29. August 1945 auflöste.

Mit der Reaktivierung der Royal Auxiliary Air Force wurde die 616 am 10. Mai 1946 in Finningley zu einer mit der Mosquito NF 30 ausgestatteten Nachtjägereinheit reformiert. 1948 wurde sie wieder zu einer Tagjägereinheit und erhielt im Dezember das von ihr eingeführte Flugzeug vier Jahre zuvor in Dienst gestellt, die Meteor F 3. Meteor F 4 traf im April 1950 und F 8 im Dezember 1951 ein, wurde aber zusammen mit allen fliegenden Einheiten der RAuxAF in Worksop aufgelöst, wohin sie 1955 umgezogen war, weiter 10. März 1957. Es wurde am 1. April 2019 bei RAF Waddington reformiert "um stark nachgefragte Beschäftigungsfelder zu unterstützen".

Nein 617 Geschwader

In Anbetracht ihrer kurzen Existenz während des Zweiten Weltkriegs war No 617 wahrscheinlich die bekannteste RAF-Einheit, die aus dem Konflikt hervorgegangen ist, so sehr, dass sie heute noch eine aktive RAF-Staffel ist, wenn viele niedrigere (dh höherrangige) Staffeln nicht mehr sind aktiv in der Schlachtordnung.

617 wurde am 21. März 1943 in Scampton zum alleinigen Zweck der Durchführung einer einzigen Operation gebildet.Züchtigen'. Diese Operation beinhaltete die Lieferung einer speziellen Mine in niedriger Höhe, die über Verteidigungsnetze „hüpfen“ konnte, und in der Nacht des 16. Von den dreien wurden zwei - Möhne und Eder durchbrochen, während die Sorpe weitgehend unbeschädigt blieb. Acht der 19 entsandten Flugzeuge kehrten nicht zurück und Wg Cdr Gibson erhielt den VC für seine Tapferkeit während des Angriffs, bei dem er eine Technik einführte, die im gesamten Bomber Command verwendet werden konnte - das Master Bomber System.

Nach diesem Überfall wurde beschlossen, das Geschwader zu behalten, aber es operierte weiterhin auf einem spezialisierten Gebiet. Unter dem Kommando von Wg Cdr Leonard Cheshire entwickelte das Geschwader Markierungstechniken auf niedriger Ebene, zuerst mit Lancasters und später mit Moskitos. In dieser Rolle führt das Geschwader oft und markierte Präzisionsziele für die gesamte Gruppe Nr. 5. Während der Landungen am D-Day führte das Geschwader die Operation . durch Steuerpflichtig, wobei mit Fenster Metallstreifen, erweckte es den Eindruck einer Invasionstruppe, die den Ärmelkanal in Richtung Pas de Calais überquerte.

Seine nächste Spezialoperation bestand darin, eine weitere von Barnes Wallis entworfene, in Form der 12.000 Pfund schwere Erdbebenbombe „Tallboy“ zu liefern. Mit dieser Waffe zerstörte das Geschwader kurz nach dem D-Day den Saumur-Eisenbahntunnel und versenkte später in Verbindung mit dem Geschwader Nr. 9 die Tirpitz im Thomsø-Fjord. Am Ende des Krieges war es für den Abwurf der größten selbst hochexplosiven Bomben der Geschichte verantwortlich, als es den 22.000 Pfund schweren "Grand Slam", ein weiteres Design von Barnes Wallis, abfeuerte und Ziele wie das Bielefelder Viadukt zerstörte. Es wurde dann zugewiesen 'Tiger Force“, aber die Notwendigkeit dieser Streitmacht verschwand, als die Japaner nach dem Abwurf der Atombomben auf Hiroshima und Nagasaki kapitulierten. 617 zogen jedoch im Januar 1946 nach Indien, indem sie im Mai nach Binbrook in Großbritannien zurückkehrten.

Sie trat der RAF in Friedenszeiten bei und war nun mit Lincolns ausgestattet, die sie bis 1952 behielt, als sie die zweite Staffel der RAF wurde, die den Canberra-Jetbomber erhielt. Bis zur Auflösung am 15.

Es wurde am 1. Mai 1958 in seinem Stammsitz Scampton als Teil der mit Vulcan B1 ausgestatteten V-Force reformiert. 1961 mit B2 umgerüstet, verblieb es in Scampton und operierte nach 1968, als die nukleare Abschreckung an die Royal Navy übergeben wurde, in der konventionellen Bombardierung, bis es am 31. Dezember 1981 aufgelöst wurde.

Es reformiert noch einmal am 1. Januar 1983 in Marham, ausgestattet mit dem Tornado GR1 in der Rolle des Nuklearschlags. Im Jahr 1993 begann es mit der Umschulung für die Anti-Shipping-Rolle, für die es jetzt den Tornado GR4B (erste erhaltene 1994) einsetzt, der zum Abschuss der Sea-Eagle-Seeskimming-Rakete ausgestattet ist. Ab 1994 war es in Lossiemouth in Schottland neben der einzigen anderen mit GR4B ausgestatteten Einheit, No 12 Squadron, stationiert. Es reformierte sich am 17. April 2018 in den USA und begann im Juni 2018 mit dem Umzug in sein neues Zuhause in Marham.

Der Standard wurde ursprünglich am 15. Januar 1952 als Zeichen der Anerkennung Seiner Majestät für ihre herausragenden Leistungen im Betrieb verliehen und präsentiert:

TF Zugewiesen Apr. - Sept. 1939
AJ 1943 - 1946
KC 1943 - 1952 (verwendet neben AJ)
YZ 1945 (wird nur in Flugzeugen verwendet, die zum Tragen von 'Grand-Slam'-Bomben verwendet wurden)
AJ Weitergetragene Tornados

Für eine detailliertere Geschichte von Nr. 617 im zweiten Teil des 2. Weltkriegs bestellen Sie das folgende Buch: -

Nein 618 Geschwader

Dieses Geschwader wurde kurz nach Nr. 617 am 1. April 1943 gegründet und wurde auch geschaffen, um mit einer kleineren Version von Barnes Wallis' "Bouncing Bomb" Spezialoperationen durchzuführen.

Es wurde in Skitten aus einem Kern von Besatzungen gebildet, die von den Geschwadern Nr. 105 und 109 bereitgestellt wurden, und war mit Moskitos ausgestattet, die jeweils zwei der kleineren trugen.Flugball' Geräte.

Ursprünglich war geplant, dieses Gerät gegen deutsche Marineschiffe entlang der norwegischen Küste einzusetzen, aber da diese nie ihre sicheren Häfen in den norwegischen Fjorden verließen, wurde das Geschwader nie voll einsatzbereit.

Als nächstes wurde beschlossen, das Geschwader für ähnliche Aufgaben gegen die Japaner in den Pazifik zu entsenden. Das Geschwader schiffte sich am 30. Oktober 1944 an Bord der HMS Striker ein und traf im Dezember in Australien ein. Im März 1945 wurde eine Abteilung zum britischen Pazifikflottenstützpunkt Manus entsandt, aber als offensichtlich wurde, dass es Probleme beim Betrieb einer RAF-Einheit in einem von der US Navy kontrollierten Gebiet geben würde, wurde das Geschwader am 29. Juni 1945 aufgelöst.

Nein 6 19 Geschwader

Am 18. April 1943 als Bombereinheit der Main Force innerhalb der No 5 Group gegründet, wurde sie in Woodhall Spa mit Lancasters ausgestattet.

Es blieb in dieser Funktion mit dem gleichen Flugzeugtyp ausgestattet, obwohl es mehrmals seine Stützpunkte verlegte, Coningsby - Januar 1944, Dunholme Lodge - April, Strubby - September und Skellingthorpe - Juni 1945, wo es am 18. Juli 1945 aufgelöst wurde.

Nein 620 Geschwader

Gebildet als schwere Bombereinheit innerhalb der No 3 Group in Chedburgh am 17. Juni 1943 mit Stirlings ausgestattet. Es operierte nur als Bombereinheit bis November dieses Jahres, als es zur No 38 Group transferiert wurde und nach Leicester East verlegt wurde.

Es operierte jetzt in der Rolle der Luftlandetruppen, die Segelflugzeuge schleppten und Versorgungsabwürfe für Widerstandskräfte in Frankreich durchführten. Es nahm an Operationen teil Overlord, Gärtnerei und Uni bevor er im Mai 1945 Truppen nach Norwegen flog.

Kurz darauf wurde es in Halifaxes umgewandelt und im Januar 1946 zog es nach Ägypten, wo es im Juni einige Dakotas gewann, aber am 1. September 1946 wurde es aufgelöst, indem es in Aqir in No 113 Squadron neu nummeriert wurde.

TF Zugewiesen Apr. - Sept. 1939
QS Juni 1943 - 1946
D4 Nov 1943 - 1946 (verwendet mit QS bei Übergabe an Transportkommando)

*Honours in Black sind diejenigen, die dem Geschwader das Recht eingeräumt wurden, auf der Geschwaderstandarte zu prangen, dies jedoch nicht tut.

Ehrungen in Rot sind die, die tatsächlich auf dem Squadron Standard prangen

Ehrungen in Blau sind solche, die dem Geschwader nicht das Recht eingeräumt wurden, auf dem Geschwaderstandard zu prangen

Das Bild des Staffelabzeichens auf dieser Seite ist mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Steve Clements

Crown Copyright wird mit Genehmigung der Direktion für geistige Eigentumsrechte reproduziert

Diese Seite wurde zuletzt am 17.09.19 mit FrontPage 2003 aktualisiert

Organisationsindex [Seitenanfang] Quadratmeter 621 - 650


RAF Llandow

Die wichtigste RAF-Einheit, die während ihrer gesamten Existenz in Llandow stationiert war, war die Nr. 38 Maintenance Unit RAF (38 MU), die mit dem Empfang, der Lagerung und dem Versand von RAF-Flugzeugen beauftragt war. 38 MU wurde am 1. April 1940 eröffnet und am 15. März 1957 geschlossen.

Andere RAF-Einheiten aus Kriegszeiten waren zwischen Juni 1941 und Juli 1944 in Llandow stationiert. Die erste war die mit Supermarine Spitfires ausgestattete No. 53 Operational Training Unit RAF B Flight, die am 24. Juni 1941 eintraf. Eine Satellitenstation bei RAF Rhoose (jetzt Cardiff International Airport) wurde von dieser Einheit verwendet. Drei kleine Transportflüge wurden hier im April 1944 gebildet, wobei der Flug Nr. 1312 der RAF bis zum 21. Juli 1944 mit sechs Avro Anson I stationiert blieb, um dringendes Personal zum und vom Landungsgebiet der Normandie zu transportieren.

Die No. 614 (County of Glamorgan) Squadron war im Juni 1937 bei RAF Pengam Moors gebildet worden, bevor sie bei Ausbruch des Zweiten Weltkriegs wegzog. Nachkriegsausrüstung erforderte einen größeren Flugplatz als Basis und Llandow wurde ausgewählt. Das Geschwader wurde hier am 10. Mai 1946 offiziell reformiert und die ersten Spitfire Mk 16 wurden im November empfangen und im August 1948 durch Mk 22 ersetzt das Geschwader am 10. März 1957 mit allen Einheiten der Royal Auxiliary Air Force.

Eine weitere seit langem in Llandow stationierte Nachkriegsflugeinheit war die No. 663 Squadron RAFs No. 1952 AOP Flight, die mit Auster AOP.6-Flugzeugen zum Aufspüren lokaler Artillerieeinheiten der Territorial Army ausgestattet war. Dieser Flug war hier vom 1. Juli 1949 bis zur Auflösung im März 1957 stationiert.

Die Burmese Conversion Squadron der RAF war hier ab 1953 stationiert, um burmesische Piloten mit ihren neu erworbenen Ex-RAF Supermarine Spitfire-Jägern vertraut zu machen.

Die Nr. 4 Zivile Flugabwehr-Kooperationseinheit war zwischen dem 1. August 1951 und dem 1. Juli 1954 bei RAF Llandow stationiert und mit de Havilland Mosquito- und Spitfire-Flugzeugen ausgestattet, um Ziele zu schleppen und als Ziele für Armeeeinheiten in Südwales und nahe gelegenen Gebieten zu dienen.

Die Luftkatastrophe in Llandow ereignete sich am 12. März 1950, als ein Avro Tudor V-Verkehrsflugzeug G-AKBY der Fairflight Ltd im Endanflug auf die Piste 28 der RAF Llandow abstürzte. Das Flugzeug kehrte mit fünf Besatzungsmitgliedern und 80 Rugby-Anhängern vom Flughafen Dublin zurück, wobei alle außer drei Passagieren getötet wurden.


Das Wartime Memories Project ist die ursprüngliche Website zum Gedenken an den 1. und 2. Weltkrieg.

  • Das Wartime Memories Project läuft seit 21 Jahren. Wenn Sie uns unterstützen möchten, freuen wir uns über eine Spende, egal wie klein, jährlich müssen wir genügend Geld aufbringen, um unser Webhosting und unseren Admin zu bezahlen, sonst verschwindet diese Seite aus dem Web.
  • Suchen Sie Hilfe bei der Familienforschung? Bitte lesen Sie unsere Häufig gestellte Fragen zur Familiengeschichte
  • Das Wartime Memories Project wird von Freiwilligen betrieben und diese Website wird durch Spenden unserer Besucher finanziert. Wenn die Informationen hier hilfreich waren oder es Ihnen Spaß gemacht hat, die Geschichten zu erreichen, erwägen Sie bitte eine Spende, egal wie klein, wäre sehr dankbar Netz.

Wenn Ihnen diese Seite gefällt

Bitte berücksichtigen Sie eine Spende.

16. Juni 2021 - Bitte beachten Sie, dass wir derzeit einen großen Rückstand an eingereichtem Material haben, unsere Freiwilligen dies so schnell wie möglich abarbeiten und alle Namen, Geschichten und Fotos auf der Seite hinzugefügt werden. Wenn Sie bereits eine Story an die Site gesendet haben und Ihre UID-Referenznummer höher als 255865 ist, befinden sich Ihre Informationen noch in der Warteschlange, senden Sie sie bitte nicht erneut ein, ohne uns zuvor zu kontaktieren.

Wir sind jetzt auf Facebook. Like diese Seite, um unsere Updates zu erhalten.

Wenn Sie eine allgemeine Frage haben, posten Sie diese bitte auf unserer Facebook-Seite.


Wingwalker führt Akrobatik hoch über Cardiff durch, während die RAF-Staffel nach 57 Jahren in der Stadt wiederbelebt wird

Von Camilla Turner,

Es führte feindliche Angriffe in Nordafrika durch und legte im Zweiten Weltkrieg Nebelwände nieder, und nach einem halben Jahrhundert wird ein RAF-Geschwader wiederbelebt

Es führte feindliche Angriffe in Nordafrika durch und legte während des Zweiten Weltkriegs Nebelwände für die Landungen bei Dieppe, bevor es in den 1950er Jahren aufgelöst wurde.

Aber nach einem halben Jahrhundert erwacht das RAF 614 (County of Glamorgan) Squadron zu seinem früheren Glanz und hat bereits seine Türen für neue Rekruten geöffnet.

Um genau 57 Jahre nach der Auflösung des 614-Geschwaders seine Wiedererschaffung zu feiern, steuerte der Honorary Air Commodore Vic Norman einen Wingwalker quer durch Cardiff.

Stella Guilding, 26, führte Handstände und Akrobatik durch, während das Flugzeug über RAF Pengam Moors, dem alten Operationszentrum des Geschwaders, glitt.

Nach monatelanger Vorbereitung fand der große Start im brandneuen Hauptquartier der Staffel in Ty Llewellyn, Cardiff, statt.

„Wir freuen uns sehr, an dem Punkt angelangt zu sein, an dem der Kader für die Rekrutierung offen ist“, sagte Squadron Leader Mat Best. „Wir hatten schon Leute, die vor den Toren standen, bevor wir überhaupt öffneten.“

Das Geschwader hofft, bis nächstes Jahr um diese Zeit 120 neue Reservisten rekrutieren zu können, um eine Reihe von Posten zu besetzen, die vom Fotografen bis zum Geheimdienstanalytiker reichen.

Geschwaderführer Gary Lane fügte hinzu: „Die Reaktion, die wir hier in Cardiff gesehen haben, ist besser als jede andere in Großbritannien. Es ist fantastisch, dass so viele Leute fast an die Tür klopfen.“

Die Neuformierung des 614-Geschwaders ist Teil einer umfassenderen Strategie des Verteidigungsministeriums (MOD), um die Zahl der Reservisten in den Kampfkräften bis 2020 auf 20 % zu erhöhen.

Der walisische Außenminister David Jones, der am Tag der offenen Tür teilnahm, sagte: „Es ist auf den Tag genau 57 Jahre her, dass dieses Geschwader geschlossen wurde, und es ist gut zu sehen, dass es wieder geöffnet ist.

"Reservisten werden eine immer wichtigere Rolle bei der Verteidigung unseres Landes spielen, und die Menschen sind offensichtlich sehr daran interessiert, ein Teil davon zu sein."

Die 614 Squadron wurde am 1.

Im Laufe der Jahre hat das Geschwader eine Reihe verschiedener Flugzeugtypen geflogen, von Hawker Hind-Doppeldeckern in den Anfangsjahren über die Supermarine Spitfires am Ende des Krieges bis hin zu de Havilland Vampires nach 1950.

Während des Zweiten Weltkriegs trug das Geschwader zur Verteidigung der Nation bei, indem es über die schottische Küste zwischen Inverness und Berwick patrouillierte und im Mittelmeer Begleitdienste leistete.

Zur Unterstützung der Thousand Bomber Commands des RAF Bomber Command im Mai und Juni 1942 schickte das Geschwader seine Blenheims, um feindliche Flugplätze in den Niederlanden anzugreifen, und im August 1942 legte es Nebelwände an, um die vorrückenden Truppen bei ihren Landungen in Dieppe zu schützen.

Im November 1942 zog das Geschwader nach Nordafrika, wo es bis Mai 1943 feindliche Flugplätze und Kommunikationslinien angriff.

Es führte dann Schiffsbegleitdienste im Mittelmeer durch, bis es am 25. Januar 1944 auf dem Flugplatz Borizzo, Sizilien, aufgelöst wurde.

Die zweite Inkarnation der No. 614 Squadron entstand aus der No. 462 Squadron der Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), die sich am 7. September 1942 in Fayid, Ägypten, gemäß Artikel XV des British Commonwealth Air Training Plan gebildet hatte.

Das RAAF Overseas Headquarters beantragte, das Geschwader neu zu nummerieren und an die RAF zu übertragen. Am 15. Februar 1944 wurde die Einheit auf dem Weg nach Celone, Italien, in No 614 Squadron umnummeriert.

Ausgestattet mit Handley Page Halifaxes war sie an Bombenangriffen über Italien und dem Balkan beteiligt und führte auch Nachschublieferungen an Partisanen in diesen Gebieten durch.

Am 27. Juli 1945 wurde es auf dem Flugplatz Amendola, Italien, aufgelöst und in No 214 Squadron RAF umnummeriert.

Mit der Reaktivierung der RAuxAF wurde die No 614 Squadron am 10. Mai 1946 bei RAF Llandow als Day Fighter Squadron reformiert.

Zusammen mit allen fliegenden Einheiten der RauxAF wurde die Einheit am 10. März 1957 aufgelöst.


Facebook

Duncan Frank Hyland-Smith wurde 1918 in Oxford geboren und trat der RAF als D.F.H. Smith, wo er am 7. März 1939 zum Pilotenoffizier ernannt wurde. Es wird angenommen, dass er vom Vater der RAF selbst - Lord Trenchard - rekrutiert wurde, während er in Rhodesien lebte, wo er das Fliegen gelernt hatte. [A Pride of Eagles: A History of the Rhodesian Air Force Von Beryl Salt bezieht sich]

Er war qualifiziert genug, um ein Flying Instructor zu werden, bevor er im Oktober 1940 nach Vereenigning, Südafrika, als Teil der Nr. 22 Air School geschickt wurde. Er wurde schließlich am 7. März 1942 von der RAFO (Reserve of Air Force Officers) versetzt. vermutlich als sein kurzer Dienstauftrag erloschen und zum Dienst einberufen wurde.

Am 27. März 1943 wurde er Officer Commanding No.102 Sqn, der von RAF Pocklington aus operierte und die Handley Page Halifax flog (ein Flugzeug, für das 614 schließlich ein Synonym werden würde).

Er stieg bis zum Squadron Leader (Kriegs-U-Boot) auf, wurde aber am 16.

Am 1. Juli 1953 wurde er zum Wing Commander befördert und einige Jahre später, am 10 32 (The Royal) Squadron) und am 26. November 1959 wurde er zum Senior Personnel Staff Officer des HQ Middle East Air Force ernannt.

Am 1. Juli 1959 wurde er zum Gruppenkapitän befördert und am 24. September 1962 zum Stationskommandanten der RAF Leeming wurde Air Officer (Administration), HQ Far East Air Force, wo er bis August 1969 blieb.

Er trat am 13.12.1969 auf eigenen Wunsch in den Ruhestand und verstarb leider am 21.12.1987.

Im Laufe seiner illustren Karriere wurde er mit folgenden Preisen ausgezeichnet:

Commander of the British Empire (CBE) – 10. Juni 1967
Mitglied des Royal Victorian Order (MVO) – 13. Juni 1959
Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) – 6. November 1945
Air Force Cross (AFC) – 10. Juni 1054


Kalter Krieg

Diese Errungenschaften wurden 1947 von König George VI. mit dem Präfix "Royal" gewürdigt. Zwanzig der Vorkriegsgeschwader wurden nach dem Krieg zu Jagdeinheiten reformiert. Die Ereignisse nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg läuteten eine Zeit großer Gefahren für Großbritannien ein. Der Beginn des Kalten Krieges mit dem kommunistischen Block, der zur Berliner Luftbrücke und schließlich zum Ausbruch des Koreakrieges im Juni 1950 führte RAuxAF-Einheiten, spielten ihre Rolle in der britischen Luftverteidigung und nahmen an vielen NATO-Luftübungen teil. 1951, auf dem Höhepunkt des Koreakrieges, wurden alle 20 RAuxAF-Jagdstaffeln (die ein Drittel der Stärke des Fighter Command repräsentieren) zu einem dreimonatigen Vollzeitdienst einberufen. Sie wurden für die Heimverteidigung anstelle von regulären Staffeln benötigt, die für den Einsatz nach Korea vorgesehen waren. Für den Fall, dass RAF-Jagdstaffeln in Korea nicht benötigt wurden, wurden die RauxAF-Staffeln für ein intensives Auffrischungstraining an ihren Heimatbasen zurückgehalten.

Am 10. März 1957 wurden alle 20 RAuxAF Force-Jagdstaffeln, die fünf Nachkriegs-AOP-Staffeln und die leichten Flugabwehrstaffeln des Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiments aufgelöst. In den folgenden zwei Jahren wurden auch die mit ihnen verbundenen Auxiliary Fighter Control Units aufgelöst. Am 16. März 1960 luden der Air Commodore-in-Chief und Seine Königliche Hoheit Prinz Philip, Herzog von Edinburgh, die Squadron Commanders und Flight Commanders aller aufgelösten Royal Auxiliary Air Force-Einheiten zu einem Empfang im Buckingham Palace ein. Alle erhielten den folgenden Brief des Air Commodore-in-Chief:

Ich habe diese Gelegenheit begrüßt, von den Kommandierenden Offizieren und höheren Hilfsoffizieren der Staffeln der Royal Auxiliary Air Force, die aufgelöst werden, Abschied zu nehmen und ihnen diese Botschaft der Anerkennung und des Danks an alle ihre Offiziere, Flieger und Fliegerinnen zu übermitteln.

Die Geschichte der Auxiliary Air Force ist eine ruhmreiche. The first Auxiliary squadrons were included in the Air Defence of Great Britain in 1925. By the outbreak of war in 1939 the Auxiliary fighter, coastal and balloon squadrons formed an integral and vital part of our forces. It was aircraft of these squadrons which shot down the first enemy bomber over this country and Auxiliary squadrons were heavily engaged in the air over Dunkirk and throughout the Battle of Britain. Later they were to win battle honours over the Atlantic, in Malta, North Africa, Sicily and Italy, the Arakan and Burma, and in Normandy, France and Germany.

After the war, the fighter squadrons were reconstituted as the Royal Auxiliary Air Force and the traditional spirit of voluntary service found new outlets with the formation of Regiment, Air OP, Fighter Control and Radar reporting Units, some of which are to remain in being and provide further opportunities for voluntary service.

The association of the Force with my family has always been close. I was proud to become Honorary Air Commodore of Nos 603, 2063 and 3603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadrons in 1951 and to succeed my father as Honorary Air Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force in 1952. Members of my family have always treasured their association with Auxiliary squadrons as Honorary Air Commodores.

I wish as Air Commodore-in-Chief to thank officers, airmen and airwomen of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force for all that they have given to the service of the country by their enthusiasm, their spirit and their devotion to duty in peace and war. It is a sad day when it is necessary to tell so many that it is no longer possible to use their services on the duties they have assumed so willingly. I wish them to know that they can look back with pride and satisfaction to service well done.

The renaissance of the RAuxAF began in 1959 with the formation of three Maritime Headquarters Units and one Maritime Support Unit. The MSU in Belfast was very short-lived, but No 1 (County of Hertford) MHU in Northwood, No 2 (City of Edinburgh) MHU in Edinburgh and No 3 (County of Devon) MHU in Mountbatten continued in existence until No 3 was amalgamated into No 1 in 1999. Later that year No 1 was renumbered 600 (City of London) Squadron and No 2 was renumbered 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron. These three units formed the entirety of the RAuxAF for twenty years until expansion starting in 1979, with the formation of three Regiment Field Squadrons, continuing with a Movements Squadron in 1982, and, following lessons learned during the Falklands conflict an Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron in 1983. A more recent addition, in 1987, was an auxiliary element (The Grampian Troop) formed within a regular RAF Regiment Rapier Air Defence Squadron. Another step forward was taken in 1986, with the raising of four Defence Force Flights with the role of ground defence of key points on air bases. In 1984, the RAuxAF's Diamond Jubilee was marked by the award to the Service of its own badge, which forms the basic motif of the Sovereign's Colour for the Royal Auxiliary Force presented by Her Majesty the Queen in 1989. The words of the badge motto COMITAMUR AD ASTRA - Latin "We go with them to the stars".


No. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Second World War - History

Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation

No 611 - 620 Squadron Histories

Numbers in the 600 series were originally allocated to squadrons of the Auxiliary Air Force. However, the AAF had only reached No 616 by the outbreak of World War Two, and further squadrons starting at 617 began to be formed from 1943 onwards. Although many squadrons were not formed until later in the war, the Air Ministry seems to have allocated code letters to many non-existent squadrons during the Munich Crisis in 1938, probably to confuse German Intelligence.

Nein 611 (West Lancashire) Squadron

Formed at Hendon as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 10 February 1936, it moved North to Speke in May and received its first aircraft, Harts, in June. Until January 1939 it operated as a day bomber squadron, re-equipping with Hinds in 1938, but was then re-designated a fighter squadron.

Spitfires arrived in May 1939 and the squadron carried out operations over Dunkirk and then took part in the Battle of Britain. It operated in the day fighter role throughout WW2 and remained bases in the UK at various locations until disbanding at Peterhead on 15 August 1945.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 611 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Woodvale as a day fighter squadron. It was initially equipped with Spitfire F 14s and F 22, until June 1951 when Meteor F 4s were received. These were replaced by F 8s in December 1951 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded at Hooton Park, where it had moved in 1951, on 10 March 1957. The squadron reformed in 2013 at RAF Woodvale as a multi-role unit.

Nein 612 (County of Aberdeen) Squadron

Formed at Dyce as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 1 June 1937, it was initially equipped with Tutors. By the end of the year it had received Hectors which it continued to fly up to and beyond 1 November 1938 when it converted from the Army Co-operation to the General Reconnaissance role In July 1939 it received Ansons, which were better suited to its new role.

It flew throughout WW2 as a General Reconnaissance unit within Coastal Command being successively re-equipped with Whitleys, and various marks of Wellington, disbanding at Langham on 9 July 1945

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 612 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Dyce as fighter squadron. Initially equipped with Spitfire LF 16s and F 14s it converted to Vampires in July 1951 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded on 10 March 1957.

Reformed from The Air Transportable Surgical Squadron on xx xxx xxxx.

DJ Jul 1939 Sep 1939
WL Sep 1939 - Aug 1943
8W Jul 1944 - Jul 1945, 1949 - Apr 1951
RAS May 1946 - 1949

Nein 613 (City of Manchester) Squadron

Formed at Ringway as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 1 March 1939, it was initially equipped with Hinds. By the end of the year it had received Hectors which it flew until April 1940 when it received Lysanders.

Remaining in Britain on the outbreak of war it operated over France on light bombing and supply dropping missions before assuming coastal patrol and air-sea rescue duties. However, it started to training in the tactical reconnaissance role from Augustl 1941 when it received its first Tomahawks. It began to re-equip in April 1942 with the Mustang, which it retained until October 1943.

It received Mosquito VIs from November 1943 and joined No 2 Group, beginning operations in December. From May 1944 it took on the role of night intruder and continued in this role until 7 August 1945 when it was re-numbered No 69 Squadron.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 613 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Ringway as a fighter squadron. Initially equipped with Spitfires F 14 and F 22s, it received Vampires in February 1951 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded on 10 March 1957.

ZR Mar 1939 - Jun 1942
SY Jun 1942 - Aug 1945
RAT May 1946 - 1949
Q3 1949 - Apr 1951

Nein 614 (County of Glamorgan) Squadron

Formed at Cardiff as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 1 June 1937, it was initially equipped with Hinds. By the end of the year it had received Hectors which it flew until November 1939 when it received Lysanders.

In June 1940 it moved to Scotland to carry out coastal patrols but from July 1941 it began re-equipping with Blenheims IVs, a process completed by January 1942. During the first 'thousand bomber' raid in May 1942, it carried out bombing attacks against German airfields. It also laid smoke screens during the Dieppe landings and in November moved to North Africa.

In North Africa it carried out attacks against enemy airfields and lines of communication until May 1943, when the fighting in that area ended. It then became involved in shipping escort duties in the Mediterranean until being disbanded on 25 January 1944.

Just over a month later on 3 March 1944 No 462 Squadron at Celone in Italy was renumbered No 614. Equipped with Halifaxes it was now involved in bombing mission over Italy and the Balkans and it also carried out supply drops to partisans in those areas. It re-equipped with Liberators in March 1945 but on 27 July it disbanded again.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 614 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Llandow as a day fighter squadron. Initially equipped with Spitfires, these gave way to Vampires in July 1950 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded on 10 March 1957. The squadron reformed in September 2013 at Cardiff as a multi-role unit.

Nein 615 (County of Surrey) Squadron

Formed at Kenley as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 1 June 1937, it was initially equipped with the Audax. By the end of the year it had received Hectors which it flew until November 1938 when it received Gauntlets and became a fighter squadron at the same time.

It went to France as part of the Air Component of the BEF in November 1939 having re-equipped with Gladiators in May. Conversion to Hurricanes took place just prior to the German invasion of France but by 20 May 1940, the squadron was back at Kenley.

It took part in the early actions of the Battle of Britain but then moved to Scotland to rest. It later took part in offensive sweeps over Europe and defence duties in Wales before moving to India in April 1942. It moved to Burma in December 1942, returned to India to re-equip in May 1943 receiving Spitfires in October. It returned to operations on the Burma front in November but was recalled to India again, for defensive duties in August 1944, before returning to Burma in February 1945, disbanding on 10 June.

No 135 Squadron, equipped with Thunderbolts was renumbered 615 on the same day and began training for the invasion of Malaya. However, the Japanese surrender ended these plans and the squadron disbanded on 25 September 1945.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 615 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Biggin Hill as a day fighter squadron equipped with Spitfire 14s. Spitfire F 21s were received in 1947 and F 22s in 1948, both marks being flown until 1950, when the squadron re-equipped with Metoer F 4s. Meteor F 8s were received in September 1951 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded on 10 March 1957.

RR Nov 1938 - Sep 1939
KW Sep 1939 - Sep 1945
RAV Jul 1946 - 1949
V6 1949 - Apr 1951

Nein 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron

On 1 November 1938 No 503 Squadron re-located to Doncaster and was re-numbered No 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron, Auxiliary Air Force. It was originally equipped with Hind light bombers but from 15 November it was re-designated a fighter unit. It re-equipped with Gauntlets in 1939 and Spitfires in November 1939.

It began the Battle of Britain in its home county of Yorkshire but in mid August it joined the main battle when it moved to Kenley. Fighter sweeps over the continent began in April 1941 receiving Spitfire IIs in February 1941 and VBs in July 1941. In April 1942 it received the high altitude version of the Spitfire, the Mk VI and from September 1943, the Mk VII.

However, before the last Spitfire had left a new aircraft was arriving in the form of the RAF's first jet fighter, the Gloster Meteor. These arrived just in time to meet the threat posed by the V1 flying bomb, for which the squadron was retained in Britain. In February 1945 a detachment of the squadron went to Belgium, with the whole squadron moving to Holland in April 1945 and when the war ended the squadron found itself at Lubeck, where it disbanded on 29 August 1945.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 616 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Finningley as a night fighter unit equipped with the Mosquito NF 30. It became a day fighter unit again in 1948 and that December received the aircraft that it had introduced into service four years earlier, the Meteor F 3. Meteor F 4s arrived in April 1950 and F 8s in December 1951, but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded at Worksop, where it had moved in 1955, on 10 March 1957. It was reformed on 1 April 2019 at RAF Waddington "to support high demand employment fields".

Nein 617 Squadron

Considering its short existence during WW2, No 617 was probably the most well known RAF unit to emerge from the conflict, so much so that today it still remains an active RAF squadron, when many lower numbered (ie. more senior) squadrons are no longer active in the order of Battle.

617 was formed on 21 March 1943 at Scampton for the sole purpose of carrying out a single operation 'Chastise' . That operation involved the low level delivery of a special mine able to 'bounce' over defensive netting and on the night of 16 May 1943, led by Wg Cdr Guy Gibson, the squadron attacked dams in the Rhur Valley. Of the three, two - the Mohne and Eder were breached whilst the Sorpe remained largely undamaged. Eight aircraft from the 19 dispatched failed to return and Wg Cdr Gibson was awarded the VC for his gallantry during the raid, during which he introduced a technique to be used throughout Bomber Command - the Master Bomber system.

Following this raid it was decided to retain the squadron, but it continued to operate in a specialised field. Under the command of Wg Cdr Leonard Cheshire the squadron developed low level marking techniques, first using Lancasters and later Mosquitoes. In this role the squadron often lead and marked precision targets for the whole of No 5 Group. During the D-Day landings the squadron carried out Operation Taxable, whereby using Fenster metallic strips, it created the impression of an invasion force crossing the English Channel towards the Pas de Calais.

Its next special operations consisted of delivering another of Barnes Wallis' design, in the form of the 12,000lb 'Tallboy' earthquake bomb. Using this weapon, the squadron destroyed the Saumur railway tunnel shortly after D-Day and later in conjunction with No 9 Squadron sank the Tirpitz in Thomso fiord. At the end of the war it was responsible for dropping the largest even high explosive bombs in history when it delivered the 22,000lb 'Grand Slam', another Barnes Wallis design, destroying targets such as the Bielefeld viaduct. It was then allocated to 'Tiger Force' but the need for this force vanished when the Japanese surrendered following the dropping of the Atomic Bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. However 617 did move to India in January 1946 by returned to Binbrook in the UK in May.

Joining the peace time RAF, it was now equipped with Lincolns, retaining these until 1952 when it became the second squadron in the RAF to receive the Canberra jet bomber. It continued to operate Canberras from Binbrook, except for a four month detachment to Malaya in 1955, until disbanding on 15 December 1955.

It reformed at its ancestral home, Scampton, on 1 May 1958 as part of the V-Force equipped with Vulcan B1s. Re-equipping with B2s in 1961 it remained at Scampton, operating in the conventional bombing role after 1968 when the nuclear deterrent was passed to the Royal Navy, until disbanding on 31 December 1981.

It reformed once again on 1 January 1983 at Marham equipped with the Tornado GR1 in the nuclear strike role. In 1993, it began to retrain for the anti shipping role, for which it now operates the Tornado GR4B (first ones received in 1994) equipped to launch the Sea-Eagle sea skimming missile. From 1994, it was located at Lossiemouth in Scotland alongside the only other GR4B equipped unit, No 12 Squadron, it disbanded on 1 April 2014 in preparation for it to become the first operational unit to operate the F-35B Lightning II. It reformed on 17 April 2018 in the USA and began the move to its new home at Marham in June 2018.

Standard originally awarded on 15 Jan 1952 as a mark of His Majesty's appreciation of its outstanding achievements in operations and presented:-

TF Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
AJ 1943 - 1946
KC 1943 - 1952 (used alongside AJ)
YZ 1945 (only used on aircraft used to carry 'Grand Slam' bombs)
AJ Carried on Tornados

For more a more detailed history of No 617 in the latter part of WW2, order the book below: -

Nein 618 Squadron

Formed shortly after No 617 on 1 Aril 1943, this squadron was also created to undertake special operations with a smaller version of Barnes Wallis' 'Bouncing Bomb'.

It was formed at Skitten from a nucleus of crews provided by No's 105 and 109 Squadrons and was equipped with Mosquitoes, which each carried two of the smaller 'Highball' devices.

It was originally planned to use this device against German naval vessels along the Norwegian coast, but as these never moved out of their safe havens in Norwegians fiords, the squadron never became fully operational.

It was next decided to send the squadron to the Pacific for similar duties against the Japanese. Embarking aboard HMS Striker on 30 October 1944, the squadron arrived in Australia in December. A detachment was sent to the British Pacific Fleet base at Manus in March 1945, but when it became obvious that there would be problems operating an RAF unit in an area controlled by the US Navy, the squadron was disbanded on 29 June 1945.

Nein 6 19 Squadron

Formed as a Main Force bomber unit within No 5 Group on 18 April 1943, it was equipped with Lancasters at Woodhall Spa.

It continued in this role equipped with the same type of aircraft although it moved bases a number of times, Coningsby - January 1944, Dunholme Lodge - April, Strubby - September and Skellingthorpe - June 1945, where it disbanded on 18 July 1945.

Nein 620 Squadron

Formed as a heavy bomber unit within No 3 Group at Chedburgh on 17 June 1943 equipped with Stirlings. It only operated as a bomber unit until November that year when it as transferred to No 38 Group, moving to Leicester East.

It now operated in the airborne forces role towing gliders and carrying out supply drops to resistance forces in France. It took part in Operations Overlord, Market Garden und Varsity before flying troops to Norway in May 1945.

Shortly after this it converted to Halifaxes and in January 1946 it moved to Egypt, gaining a few Dakotas in June, but on 1 September 1946 it was disbanded by being re-numbered No 113 Squadron at Aqir.

TF Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
QS Jun 1943 - 1946
D4 Nov 1943 - 1946 (used with QS on transfer to Transport Command)

*Honours in Black are those the squadron has a been granted the right to emblazon on the Squadron Standard, but does not do so.

Honours in Red are those actually emblazoned on the Squadron Standard

Honours in Blue are those the squadron has not been granted the right to emblazon on the Squadron Standard

Squadron badge image on this page is courtesy of Steve Clements

Crown Copyright is reproduced with the permission of the Directorate of Intellectual Property Rights

This page was last updated on 17/09/19 using FrontPage 2003

Organisational Index [Top of Page] Sqns 621 - 650


Unit History: RN Air Station Filton

RAF Filton was a World War II, Royal Air Force Sector Airfield situated at Filton Aerodrome about 8km (5mi) north of the city centre of Bristol, England.

RFC/RAF Squadrons at Filton during the First World War.
In Jan 1916 No. 33 Squadron was formed at Filton, from elements of 12 Squadron, flying Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2 aircraft.

In April 1916 No. 42 Squadron was formed at Filton from crews of 19 Squadron Royal Flying Corps also equipped with the B.E.2 biplane.

No. 66 (Fighter) Squadron was formed at Filton in June 1916 with Sopwith Pup biplanes the squadron moved on to France in March 1917.

August 1916 saw No. 62 Squadron (Training) Squadron formed from elements of No.7 Training Squadron - equipped with the Bristol F.2 Fighter from May 1917.

One of the Squadron Leaders was Montgomery Victor Murray Clube.


Zwischen den Kriegen
101 Squadron was disbanded at Filton following its return from France in March 1919 where it had flown the Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2 as a night bomber squadron.

In June 1929 501 (Special Reserve) Squadron was formed at Filton as a day bomber squadron flying Airco DH.9A biplanes. Initially named ’City of Bristol’ it was renamed ’County of Gloucester’ Squadron in May 1930. It became part of the Auxiliary Air Force in 1936. The Squadron flew Hawker Harts and then the Hawker Hind light bomber from 1938.

2. Weltkrieg
During WW2 RAF Filton was home to the Filton Sector (Part of No 10 Group RAF) Operations Room and Staff.

No. 935 (County of Glamorgan) Barrage Balloon Unit (Auxiliary Air Force) was at Filton from January 1939 with 2 Flights of 8 barrage balloons, and responsible for the defence of the Naval Yard at Plymouth as well as the airfield at Filton. The unit’s allocation was increased to 24 Balloons during August 1940 as RAF Filton did not have a defensive fighter squadron attached to defend the airfield. The No 11 Balloon Centre at Pucklechurch, north of Bristol, also came under the command of the RAF Filton station commander.

Squadrons stationed at RAF Filton from the beginning of WW2 included 501 (County of Gloucester) Sqdn (Auxiliary Air Force), now flying Hawker Hurricane Ic fighters, until 10 May 1940 when that Squadron moved to France and 263 Squadron (reformed on 20 October 1939 at Filton) taking over some of the Gloster Gladiator I biplane fighters previously with 605 Squadron and still wearing that squadron’s code letter (HE). The Squadron went on to Norway in April 1940 operating from a frozen lake.

Between May and July 1940, No. 236 Squadron were based at Filton with Bristol Blenheim twin-engined fighters, flying defensive sweeps over the Channel.

In February 1941 118 Sqdn was formed at Filton flying Spitfire IIs on convoy patrols until January 1943.

Also in February 1941, Bristol University Air Squadron (UAS) was formed at Filton as part of 54 Group (along with Birmingham UAS). Initially flying DH Moth and later Tiger Moth and Harvard trainers. It continued at Filton until it was disbanded in 1946.

No 528 Squadron was formed at Filton in June 1943, flying the Bristol Blenheim and de Havilland Hornet Moth in the radar calibration role.

During the Second World War the Station Warrant Officer at Filton was Alec (Tubby) Kerr. Described in the Bristol Evening World in 1957 as one of the best-known Station Warrant Officers the RAF has ever known. SWO Kerr was awarded the MBE on the 13th of June 1946.

The Filton ’Blitz’
The airfield was attacked on 25 September 1940 just before mid-day by 57 Heinkel 111 bombers with Messerschmitt Bf 110 fighter escort. The Luftwaffe raid was primarily aimed at the Bristol Aeroplane Company’s works on the south side of the airfield. One of the air raid shelters on the airfield received a direct hit, five others seriously damaged and during the raid over 200 people were killed. Luftwaffe reconnaissance planes had determined that there were no fighter aircraft stationed at Filton prior to the attack but 504 (County of Nottingham) Squadron (Auxiliary Air Force) was moved in from 26 September 1940, flying Hawker Hurricane Mk1 fighters, as a result of this raid.

Post War Years
After the war years Filton again became home to 501 Squadron, which was reformed in May 1946 as a Royal Auxiliary Air Force day-fighter squadron equipped with Spitfire XVI (LF)s. These were followed in 1948 by de Havilland Vampire F1s, and the FB5 from Spring 1951. 501 Squadron continued at Filton until it was disbanded in March 1957, when the remaining Royal Auxiliary Air Force flying units were stood down.

Filton was also once again home to the Bristol University Air Squadron reformed in November 1950 as part of 62 Group. Initially flying de Havilland Tiger Moth T2s, these were replaced with Chipmunk T10 trainers and also No 3 Air Experience Flight RAFVR (Formed 8 September 1958, moving to Hullavington in June 1989) also with de Havilland Chipmunk trainers.

Operating out of Filton from December 1947 was No12 Reserve Flying School equipped with six de Havilland Tiger Moths for RAF Reserve Pilot training and (from 1949) initially two (later three) Avro Ansons for Navigator training. This school was operated under special contract to the Air Ministry by the Bristol Aeroplane Company as part of the Volunteer Reserve Pilot training scheme. This continued until March 1953 when No. 12 RFS closed.

In the 1950s and early ’60s, Filton was designated as a V-bomber dispersal base. During the Cuban Missile Crisis (October 1962) Avro Vulcan V-bombers were at Filton and kept at ’immediate readiness’ status with engines idling.


No. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Second World War - History

"Don't threaten or dictate to us untill you are marching up Whitehall,
and even then we won't listen to you".

British Ambassador to German Envoy
Bern, Switzerland, May 1940

604 Squadron came into being at Hendon on the 17th of March 1930 with F/L F.J Fogarty as adjutant and flying instructor,with a Warrant Officer and 19 airmen they formed the nucleus on which the new squadron of part timers would be built.


De Havilland DH9


AVRO 504

The first aircraft on strengh were a De Haviland DH9 ex 600 (City of London) sqdn, an Avro504K from 605 (County of Warwick) sqdn and another DH9 from601 (County of London) On the 11th of September the sqdn recieved its first operational aircraft, these were Westland Wapitis and in May, 9 of these aircraft took part in the great Hendon Air Pageant, one of the countrys largest pre-war aviation events.


Westland Wapiti

604 were affiliated with 32.(f). sqdn followed by annual camp at Tangmere where they became a blueband bombing squadron. In 1932 the squadron was visited by Air Marshall HRH,The Prince of Wales, the occasion was to present the squadron with the coveted Esher Trophy for being the best all round squadron in the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. Headquarters were opened in 1934 at Heath Brow, Hampstead by Vicount Trenchard, and during that summer the role of 604 changed to that of a fighter squadron from the light bomber duties it had started as, this was most popular with all of the members!.


Hawker Demon

After his 5 year stint S/L Gore handed over to S/L Gabriel who was one of the first weekenders to qualify as a pilot with 604 sqdn. In 1935 Hawker Demons replaced the ageing Wapiti's and four of these were detailed to take part in the annual Mildenhall air review. 1936 saw the commisioning of a certain John Cunningham and also the winner of the Esher Trophy and again in 1938 only this time presented by ACM Hugh Dowding, also in this year the Hendon pageant included 604sqdn and after summer camp the squadron was called up and based at its wartime home of North Weald, Essex.

In 1939 camp was held at Hawkinge, and on the 24th of August the sqdn was embodied into the R.A.F. as a bone fide fighter squadron and every single officer and airman was present for this special occasion! On the 1st of September 1940 the Sqdn flew into North Weald equipped now with Bristol Blenheim two seat fighters.


Bristol Blenheim

After a period of night flying duties, such as checking factories for blackout effectiveness and AA gun affiliation exercises, 604 became officially a night fighter sqdn. F/O Cunningham was crewed with his A/G "Jimmy" Rawnsley by this time and in December of 1939 had recieved their first "radar" equipped Bristol Blenheim P4847. The sqdn moved to Martlesham Heath for extensive training and to provide cover for the merchant ships using the East Coast ports. A move to Kenley, Surrey, followed later that year to cover the B.E.F's leave ships from France and on the 10th of May they escorted Blenheim Bombers to the beaches off the Hague where they attacked JU52 troop transports destroying 4 and damaging 4 others, one of 604's aircraft crashing in Holland, but the crew escaped with aid from the dutch civilians nearby. This was the first blood to the sqdn! The first night victory fell to the guns of F/O Hunter, this was a JU88, and in September to the great delight of all, the sqdn recieved its first Bristol Beaufighter AI (radar) aircraft, the airgunners were dissapointed with the lack of a gun turret but most were happy to re-muster as radar operators, by this time John Cunningham was a F/L and with a temporary R/O he destroyed a JU88 and in order to conceal from the germans the existence of a functional radar system the ruse was put about that F/L Cunningham posessed exceptional night vision, hence the nickname of "cats Eyes" a name he did not enjoy! This man, with "Jimmy" Rawnsley, went on to become one of ,if not the most, succesful night fighter teams of the Second World War.

The victims of 604sqdn were often the aircraft of KG100 the Luftwaffe's premier pathfinder squadron and, by the end of 1941, the squadron had flown for 5,800 hrs, with 56 enemy aircraft destroyed, 40 damaged, and had gained 2 D.S.O.'s, 10 D.F.C.'s and a bar, 8 D.F.M.'s and 1 bar, 3 B.E.M.'s, to the ground crews, and a M.E.B. to S/L Brown for his part in Sopley GCI.

Up to this date the squadron had lost 4 aircraft, with 8 crew members dead, a sacrifice that should not be forgotten.

The career of 604 squadron continued throughout the Second World War being based at Exeter from the 3rd of May and quickly sharing success with No 307 (Polish) squadron, Flt/lt crew downing a Do217 over Cowes, Isle of Wight over Studland Bay S/L skinner despatched an He111 on the 24th of May another He111 was destroyed by a new crew to 604 P/O Foster and Sgt Newton.

July saw the departure of John Cunningham for a rest period after 6 years with the Squadron. It would be impossible to render an account of all 604's victories here the source of this information is best read in the excellent book "Twenty One Squadrons a Complete History of the Auxiliary Squadrons of the Royal Air force".

Detachments of 604 operated from many airfields in England, from Leeds to , Cornwall to Essex, the squadron was successful on so many occasions, from downing the first He 177 four engine Bomber over Sunderland to destroying an E-Boat in the English Channel, for instance on the 27th of July S/L Hoy and W/Officer Ray, intercepted "weather Willie" a fast moving Ju88 that radioed reports for the U-Boat's and for Lord Haw Haws broadcasts, but the Ju88 was forced to radio that he would not be returning to base as he hit the sea! another "weather Willie" was destroyed on the 22nd of august by Wing Commander Maxwell, Wing commander Maxwell scored the squadrons 100th kill, and Wing Commander, Desmond Hughes came into the squadron as its new C/O. He was a former Boulton-Paul Defiant pilot from the Battle of Britain, with a DFC and two bars for night fighting with 125 (Newfoundland) squadron, and 600 (City Of London) squadron, his navigator was Flt Lt Laurie Dixon DFC and Bar.


De Havilland Mosquito

Wing Commander Maxwell left for a staff job 604 became equipped with the Mosquito MkX11, and soon after the squadron was airborne over the Invasion Beaches of Normandy. part of the squadron was first based on French soil at A15 the allied tag for the Cherboug-Maupertus aerodrome, the rest still based in the UK at Blackbushe airfield to protect the supply ports for the Allies in Normandy. A move to allied field A8 (Picauville) saw the whole squadron together, seven aircraft airborne that night, four aircraft destroyed, but with a loss to the squadron of one aircraft, Flt Lt Hooper and F/O Hubbard DFC were never found. By the 1st of september the airfield at A8 had deteriorated so much that the squadron moved to B6 and then to B17 (Carpiquet) near Caen, Flt Lt Miller cannoned two armed Trawlers near Jersey, the squadron moved back to Preddanack Cornwall on the 24th of September to rearm with the latest Mosquito variant with an advanced new Radar. Another move to Odiham Hantshire saw 604 waiting to move back to France, but while here they made patrols to Belgium and Holland and in emergencies were able to land at Brussels-Melsbroek as this was now in allied hands, they were under control of 147 wing.

Another move saw 604 based at Lille-Vendrille France, with F/officer Cross killing two JU87's that night. On the 1st of January, the Germans mounted their last fling against allied airfields in Belgium and Holland, 604 were not affected, but S/L Furze claimed a He219 over Munchen Gladbach and in three quick combats Flt Lt Foster shot down three Ju88's bad weather stopped operations for a while, with rare sightings of enemy aircraft, most nights were spent hunting V1 flying bombs heading for Antwerp and England, An Me109 was destroyed on the 24th of March 1945, with continued bad weather over the continent of Europe, 604 aircraft made landings in the UK and it was some time after, before it became known that F/Officer T.R. Wood having destroyed a JU88 in the early hours of the 27th of March, had scored the final 604 kill of the Second World War. Bad weather reigned over the continent and flying was at a halt, this allowed the squadron to throw a thank you party for the squadrons ground crew at the University Hall in Lille.

On the 18th of April the squadron disbanded, the aircraft going to 264 and 409 squadrons the latter a Canadian night fighter unit, so ended the wartime story of 604 (County Of Middlesex) Squadron with a record of second to none!. Recruiting opened again at Hendon on the 1st of June 1946, and again Group Captain Cunningham became Commanding Officer, reverting to the rank of Squadron leader.


Vickers-Supermarine Spitfire

Now 604 was equipped with Spitfire LFXV1e aircraft, in 1948 an Essex flight was established at North Weald, and soon the whole squadron was there, as Hendon was becoming unsuitable for fighter aircraft. John Cunningham's other job as a test pilot for DeHavilland took much of his time and S/Leader K.T. Lofts took over as commanding officer. 604 regained the coveted Esher Trophy in 1949, but suffered a loss when S/L Lofts was killed in a flying accident, S/Leader A.Deytrikh succeeded as the C/O and now saw his squadron change over from the Spitfires to jets with the introduction of the DeHavilland Vampire F3 these were recieved in 1951.


De Havilland Vampire


Gloster-Meteor

Middlesex County council publicly honoured 604 for their achievements on the 27th February 1952 at the Guidhall Westminster, the Gloster Meteor F8 was issued to the squadron as its mount, with S/L T.P Turnbull as its C/O and was flying these aircraft in the front line of defence when in March 1957 came the decision to disband the flying units of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. On the 28th of May 1960 in Whitehall Sir Frederick Handley-Page presented the Standard awarded By the Queen to Flt Lt Buckley a former 604 pilot, the Standard was laid up in the RAF church of St Clement Danes, a formal parade was held, and so ended part of Britains aviation history.

But some were not letting it end there! with a loan of 250, a Percival Proctor 111 was aqquired G-ALOK (formerly RAF LZ589) appeared as the mount of the County Of Middlesex squadron flying group, the rest of the cost of 525 was subscibed by members, known as "oscar kilo" the aircraft gave pleasure to many.

132 german aircraft were shot down by 604 squadron, a totall of 37 DFC's or bars, 9 DFM's 4 BEM's, 3 Norwegian War medals, and countless "mentioned in Despatches" were given to 604 squadron, the books "Cover of Darkness" by Roderick Chisholme and "Nightfighter" by C.F Rawnsley, John Cunninghams Radar operator are Very good reads.

Other Aircraft used by 604 squadron.

Squadron Markings

Red and Yellow interlocking triangles carried across the top of the wings, and along the side of the fuselage, and the armorial bearings of the County Of Middlesex on the tail. the Wartime Squadron code was NG, post war they were RAK, but from 1949 they once again became NG

The "sword" is known as a Seax and the motto in latin translates as "if you want peace, prepare for war" a fitting motto to a gallant and formidable RAF squadron.

Source of information

The excellent book now I believe out of print called " 21 Squadrons", a history of the 21 squadrons of the Royal Auxiliary Air force.


Schau das Video: Forever Fallen Instrumental feat. Gita Langley